Monday, October 19, 2009

Confirmed Tropical Disease--Dengue Fever!

Yesterday all the Peace Corps Trainees arrived back in Belmopan. It is so great to see fellow PCTs again and hear stories about everyone’s new site placements! These past two weeks were Peace Corps “lite” in our new homes- It was a taste of what is to come for the next two years.

Most importantly, today I got my blood work results from the states and our Nurse said I was positive for Dengue Fever. There are a handful of kinds of Dengue, so she wanted to take more blood to send back to the states to identify the severity of the situation… One form, Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever, is characterized by a rash under your skin that forms because your red blood cells are bursting and losing oxygen. Nurse Jackie is a bit concerned because I had such a rash on my hands and feet. Sooooo she wants to see if the rash was from the Dengue, or because of the fever and other such symptoms. She kind of got me a bit scared, but I will be fine. She just said to be careful about bug bites and continue to bathe in Deep Woods bug spray!!! I will keep you updated on the status of my Dengueness… But I feel fine and am doing great here! On Thursday we will swear in as official Peace Corps Volunteers. There will be a huge ceremony where the newly appointed American Ambassador will swear us in. Then we are attending a reception at his house on the American Embassy compound. It is supposed to be super nice and will be a great night!!!! Love love love~!

No comments:

Post a Comment